Trinidad and Tobago's ambassador to the Organisation of American States (OAS), was one of four Caribbean representatives that walked out of an OAS meeting, just before a Venezuelan representative addressed delegates.
Gustavo Tarre, an envoy representing the Venezuelan opposition, was addressing the OAS where he called on the organisation to help with the "reconstruction of Venezuela."
His address came days after Nicolas Maduro called for a celebration for Venezuela's departure from the OAS.
Trinidad and Tobago has abstained from yet another vote taken by the Organisation of American States (OAS) related to Venezuela.
The Permanent Council of the OAS approved on Wednesday the resolution - "Humanitarian Assistance in Venezuela” - encouraging member states, permanent observers, and the competent international organizations “to continue providing support and implementing measures to address the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela.”
'You can put the blame on me.'
The line is taken from a song by Hip Hop artist Akon, but today, in relation to the confusion that led to this country rejecting Dominica's request to waive OAS fees, it's the position of permanent secretary in the Ministry of Foreign and Caricom Affairs, Jennifer Daniel.
The Office of the Prime Minister has said that Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley has received a report into what led to this country objecting to Dominica's request to forego the OAS fees in light of its recovery from devastating hurricanes last year,
A statement by the Office of the Prime Minister says that upon his return to Trinidad from Tobago today, the prime minister received a full report of the details of the OAS mishap.
Former Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Surujrattan Rambachan says the Minister of Foreign Affairs Dennis Moses cannot wash his hands from the scandal surrounding this country's position towards Dominica at the OAS.
In a statement issued Thursday, Dr Rambachan said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in its attempt to distance itself from the position taken by Trinidad and Tobago against the waiver of fees for Dominica, reflects, in no small way, the deterioration in the management of in this country's foreign affairs and diplomatic relations.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says a "misrepresentation" by a public official is to blame for Trinidad and Tobago's object to a request by Dominica to have its OAS fees waived as it recovers from recent hurricanes.
In a media statement issued Thursday, the Ministry insists that the position offered by Ambassador Phillip-Spencer, is not the position of Trinidad and Tobago.
The Ministry says it has launched an investigation into what transpired and that the findings will be sent to the prime minister.
The following is the statement issued by the Ministry today.