2785911

Casandra Thompson-Forbes

Tobago has another recorded a positive COVID-19 case, the island’s sixth and the first in over four months.

A press release issued by the Division of Health, Wellness and Family Development on Saturday night said the individual recently journeyed to Tobago from Trinidad.

The division said the person was tested in Trinidad as part of the ongoing community surveillance testing but journeyed to Tobago before the results were received. As such, the individual was immediately isolated.

The DHWFD said the person is stable and currently receiving treatment at the COVID-19 Treatment Facility at Fort King George, while contact tracing is ongoing and close, primary contacts have been quarantined and are being tested.

Sources told Guardian Media that the individual was a guest at a hotel in the Crown Point area, causing it to be put on lockdown and under guard by police and army personnel.

On another issue circulating in the public domain, the release said the Office of the County Medical Officer of Health received a report of a passenger who arrived in Tobago on the inter-island ferry on August 8, 2020, who had been exhibiting flu-like symptoms. It said the individual was medically examined and was not found to be exhibiting any flu-like symptoms.

The division and the Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA) assured the public that all procedures and protocols are in place for COVID-19 but reminded the public that the virus is not over so everyone should ensure they practice all preventative measures.