After months of being declared virus-free, Tobago recorded the sixth case of COVID-19 on Saturday (August 8).
According to a release from the Division of Health, Wellness and Family Development, the person who tested positive for the virus visited Tobago just after undertaking a COVID-19 test in Trinidad.
The release said the individual received the results while on the island, was immediately isolated and is currently receiving treatment at the COVID-19 Treatment Facility at Fort King George.
The last case of the virus recorded in Tobago before now was in April.
The division also quelled the rumour that another COVID-19 case had been recorded on the island recorded over the weekend as well.
“The Office of the County Medical Officer of Health received a report of a passenger who arrived to Tobago on the Inter-island ferry on 08th August 2020, exhibiting flu-like symptoms. The individual has since been medically examined and was not found to be exhibiting any flu-like symptoms,” the release said.
The health division reminded persons to stay vigilant and take the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.
Meanwhile, the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC) has temporarily closed its Siparia office after an employee was exposed to someone who tested positive for the virus.
In the press statement yesterday, the EBC said the staff has been advised to self-quarantine after a secondary exposure to the virus.
“The temporary closure of this office has become necessary in the interest of public health and safety as the EBC’s staff assigned to this Registration Area Office has been advised by the County Medical Officer of Health for the County of St Patrick to self-quarantine at home owing to secondary exposure to the COVID-19 virus,” the EBC said.
The EBC said the public will be advised of its re-opening in a subsequent release and apologised for the inconvenience.
“Since the first presentation of COVID-19 in Trinidad and Tobago, the EBC has implemented its mitigation measures in keeping with Ministry of Health’s issued protocols to safeguard the interest of its staff and the public,” it added.