2789740
WPC Kerina Peters and Sgt Miguel Hannibal inquire why this vehicle’s passenger was not wearing a face mask on Charlotte Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

RADHICA DE SILVA and

RISHARD KHAN

There have now been COVID-19 related deaths every day of this week so far after an additional death was recorded yesterday, taking the tally to 10 deaths so far this week and 29 overall.

In its late update yesterday, the Ministry of Health confirmed that the latest death was an elderly male with comorbidities. Some 21 of the deaths thus far have come in the second phase of infection locally, which began on July 20 with case 139.

On Sunday, there were two deaths, both elderly males with comorbidities. On Monday there was one death, an elderly female with comorbidities. The highest number of deaths to be recorded within 24 hours occurred on Tuesday after the ministry confirmed five people had died of the virus. Two were elderly males and two were elderly females. On Wednesday there was one death, an elderly male who also had comorbidities.

The number of active cases also increased to 1,255 after 64 new cases were recorded. However, the ministry said this did not represent a 24-hour increase as it included samples from as early as August 28. The total number of people who tested positive for the virus since the first case on March 12 now stands at 1,984.

Over the course of yesterday, nine patients were also discharged bringing the total number of people to have recovered from the virus locally to 700.

Meanwhile, a St Mary’s Children’s Home staff member has tested positive for COVID-19, forcing the home to operate with a skeletal staff.

In a circular issued by manager Fitzroy Henry on Tuesday, occupants were advised that a member of the kitchen staff had tested positive for the virus and had been sent home for the stipulated 14 days.

“There is now a skeletal staff at the administration department. However, I will like to assure you that I will be on the compound at all times handling the distribution of meals, grocery, cleaning items and other needs of the home,” Henry said.

He added, “Please know that SMCH takes the health and well being of all staff and children with utmost seriousness and as such we have taken proactive measures to deal with same including sanitizing of the areas by an external organisation.”

Henry added that officials were in constant contact with the Health Ministry.

“The ministry is doing contact tracing and will inform staff of any need to quarantine,” he added.

The home, founded in 1857, has been supervised by the Anglican Diocese and has housed thousands of children since its inception.