The Police Service says it is continuing its thrust towards transformation with the launch of the new online Certificate of Character (COC) service, which allows the public to request a COC through the TTPS website (www.ttps.gov.tt). The new service was made available to the public on Wednesday.
The COC service was suspended on August 5, 2020, as a safety precaution, to limit the number of persons visiting police stations, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, being aware of the importance of and the high level of demand for COCs, the TTPS said it has taken the opportunity to provide a technology driven solution, to better serve the needs of citizens.
The Certificate of Character online application is part of a series of new strategic initiatives, such as the TTPS App and the online reporting of crime that are transforming the TTPS through the use technology, which in turn provides an improved service to the members of the public.
The Police Service said a Certificate of Character appointment can now be requested online by following these steps:
1. ↓Log on to the website www.ttps.gov.tt.
2. Click on the Services tab, a drop box will appear with a link to Certificates.
3. ↓Click on the Certificate of Character Request option, which leads to the COC appointment application form.
4. ↓Fill out the COC appointment application form and attach your photograph. Please note that applicants are free to choose the police station which is most convenient for their appointment.
5. ↓Review the application to ensure that all the information is correct and then submit.
6. ↓Applicants are advised to take note of the electronic acknowledgment of their online application and its identification number.
7. ↓Applicants will receive a phone call or E-mail informing them of their appointment date.
8. ↓On the appointment date, applicants should be on time and present the same identification type used on their online application, a fee of TT$50 is required to be paid to complete the application process, then the applicant will be fingerprinted.
9. ↓The Certificate of Character will be processed within three to five working days after the appointment date. The station clerk/customer service officer or divisional chief clerk will communicate with the applicant, informing them to collect their completed COC.
If no communication is made, applicants can contact the officials noted above
at the number or email provided on the TTPS website.
10. ↓Applicants should also note that if they miss their given appointment, they will be required to resubmit a new application online or call the Divisional Chief Clerk, who will advise on the next appointment date