Police officers take baby Sofia Rivas to hospital for a check-up after rescuing her from an apartment in Curepe on Tuesday night, hours after she was abducted from her mother in Chaguanas.

Two people have been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of eight-month-old Sophia Rivas.

The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) has confirmed the arrests, following the baby’s rescue from the hands of her kidnappers last night.

DCP (Ag) Investigations and Intelligence, Mc Donald Jacob, said the success of the exercise was as a result of cooperation among the various internal and external law enforcement agencies.

He also stated that the breakthrough was possible due to the efforts being made by the Commissioner of Police, Gary Griffith, to synergize and streamline the work of all local law enforcement agencies.

According to official police reports, the child’s mother, a Venezuelan national, reported to police that around 9:10am, on Tuesday 15th September 2020, she was at her Longdenville Old Road, Longdenville, Chaguanas home with her daughter, when the child was taken by a woman without her permission.

Sometime later, she received a telephone call from the suspect demanding TT$20,000 in cash for the safe release of her daughter.

Acting on intelligence, an exercise, spearheaded by Snr. Supt. (Ag.) Curtis Simon was conducted around 10:50pm, on Tuesday 15th September, 2020 and included officers of the Central Division Criminal Investigations Department (CID), Operations Unit, Chaguanas CID, Couva CID, Central Division Gang Unit, the Central Division Task Force, the Longdenville Police Post, the Anti-Kidnapping Unit, the Special Investigations Unit, the Cybercrime Unit, and the Trinidad and Tobago Prison Service.

During the exercise, the officers proceeded to Mc Inroy Street, Curepe, where they found and clinically extracted the baby in a safe manner.

A 19-year-old woman of California, Central Trinidad, and another suspect, who were found in the company with the victim at the time, were arrested in connection with the incident.

Investigations are continuing.