Port of Spain Magistrates' Court, St Vincent Street, Port of Spain.

The Gender-based Violence Unit (GBVU) is, once again, urging all victims of gender-based crimes to report all cases, to ensure that police can provide the necessary support.

The reminder comes as two men have appeared in court on separate assault offences laid by the GBVU.

In the first case, a Port of Spain man, was granted $10,000 cash bail fter appearing at the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court via video conferencing, last Friday.

52-year-old Kevon Burgess was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and choking on May 4th, 2020. He pleaded not guilty and was ordered to stay 100 metres from the victim’s house and not to enter her premises.

According to police reports, the incident occurred on February 15th, 2020, when the 30-year-old victim went to the home of the accused after receiving a call from his girlfriend. When the accused was confronted by the victim, he allegedly grabbed her throat several times and choked her. It also is alleged that the accused dealt several blows to the victim’s face with his hand, along with a shovelhead and a skillet, inflicting several injuries upon her.

The victim sought medical attention at the Port of Spain General Hospital and a report was made to the GBVU, Port of Spain.

Enquiries were conducted under the supervision of W/Supt Guy-Alleyne and W/Insp Bridglal. Charges were laid by PC Maraj.

The matter was adjourned to July 3rd, 2020.

In the second case, 34-year-old Tejram Harripersaud, of Diego Martin, was arrested and charged on June 6th, 2020 for malicious wounding and choking.

He appeared before Magistrate De Silva at the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court, on June 9th, 2020. He was not called upon to plead as the matter was laid indictably. He was granted $10,000 cash bail.

A report was made to the GBVU on June 6th, after the accused allegedly had an altercation with the 38-year-old victim, at their shared residence.

According to police reports, this resulted in the accused allegedly choking her, pushing her into a stove and punching her in her face and head. The accused then allegedly chopped the victim with a cutlass on both her hands, causing injuries.

Enquiries were conducted by W/Supt Guy-Alleyne, W/Insp Bridglal and Cpl Manswell. Charges were laid by PC Headley.

The matter was adjourned to July 3rd, 2020.