2778662
Terrence Deyalsingh, Minister of Health

Two more people have died from complication related to COVID-19, taking the number of deaths this country has recorded to date, to 21.

The Ministry of Health announced the two deaths in its 10 am update yesterday. It also announced 46 new infections.

The news of the deaths came one day after Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh announced the State was prepared to offer quarantine accommodations for those whose homes do not comfortably allow for this.

The Health Ministry said the deaths were of two adult males who had been suffering from co-morbidities.

Prior to this, four deaths were recorded on Friday, making it six deaths on the weekend.

Of the 46 new cases announced yesterday, 38 were announced in the morning update and a further eight in the afternoon.

They brought the number of active cases to 998. Active cases had reached 1,204 last Wednesday but were reduced to 802 with the discharge of 402 patients who were no longer infected.

The figure has been climbing again since then. Officials have stressed that yesterday’s figures were not representative of the cases over the previous 24 hour period.

The Health Ministry’s statement indicated the 38 new patients who were announced yesterday morning would have been processed for admission to hospitals, based on the discretion of the County Medical Officer of Health (CMOH).

The eight who announced last evening would also have faced similar protocols.

The ministry said 75 patients remain hospitalised, with 59 at the Couva Hospital and Multi Training Facility; and 16 at the Caura Hospital.

There are 870 persons who are in home isolation and said to be under the continuous monitoring of the respective CMOH’s.

Meanwhile, former Opposition MP, Dr Tim Gopeesingh has expressed gratitude for those who offered prayers, “get well” wishes and caring and comforting sentiments for his recovery from a recent COVID-19 infection.

“I am truly deeply inspired, overwhelmed and touched by your thoughtfulness and consideration,” he said, adding: “Special thanks to our doctors, nurses, para-medical professionals and support staff for the professionalism and dedicated, efficient care and courtesy they extended to me during my hospitalisation. I am now significantly improved, and at home in quarantine in accordance with the Public Health requirements.”

He urged everyone to “please observe all the recommended preventative practices for your personal care and protection against the coronavirus. I also wish all COVID-19 patients a speedy, healthy recovery.”