Marvin Scott

Two people were killed in separate incidnets in east and south Trinidad yesterday.

In the first incident, twenty minutes after she left her son lying in a hammock in the living room, Wendy Robinson heard several gunshots ringing off inside her home.

When she checked, she saw her son Dillon Balliram, 25, lying dead on the floor of his bedroom.

Balliram, a labourer employed with the Mayaro/Rio Claro Regional Corporation, died instantly after being shot several times in the head.

Police believe he ran into the bedroom when the gunman entered and started firing.

In an interview with the police, Robinson, of Boos Settlement, said she left Balliram asleep in the hammock and went to bed.

Around 11.45 pm, Robinson said she heard six loud gunshots and when she raced out to the living room, the hammock was empty.

She then checked Balliram’s bedroom and saw him lying on his right side. She told police when she called to him he failed to answer.

The terrified mother then realised that blood was oozing from Balliram’s head.

Ballriam screaming for help and her neighbours came to her assistance and called the police.

A team of officers led by Insp Simon, OPC Gillard and WPC O’Connor arrived at the house.

Six spent shells fired from a 9mm semi-automatic pistol were recovered from the scene of the crime.

Balliram’s body was viewed by District Medical Officer Dr Mohammed and taken to the Sangre Grande mortuary where an autopsy will be done today.

Officers of the Eastern Regional Homicide Bureau are continuing investigations.

In the other incident, a man from Laventille was shot and killed while going to purchase a late lunch in Tacarigua yesterday afternoon.

According to reports, shortly after 3 pm, the man was about to enter Curry Lovers Restaurant along the Eastern Main Road in Tacarigua, when he was approached by a gunman, who shot him several times before running away.

The victim was taken to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope but was pronounced dead on arrival.

He was later identified as Marvin Scott, of Picton Road, Laventille.

Homicide detectives had not established a motive for Scott’s murder up to late yesterday evening.

The murder count for the year now stands at 291 as compared to 368 for the same period last year—an almost 20 per cent decrease.

An autopsy is expected to be performed on Scott’s body at the Forensic Science Centre in St James today.