With the exception of the Claxton Bay Correctional Facility, visits are expected to resume at all the nation’s prison facilities from this week—Tuesday 8th December 2020—according to an advisory issued by the Trinidad and Tobago Prison Service, on Saturday.
The Prison Service also reminds the public that the safety measures implemented to prevent the spread of COVID 19 (Coronavirus) remain in full effect.
“The health, safety and well-being of our employees and charges are critical, as are our ongoing attempts to maintain safe and secure environments and public safety,” the Prison Service advisory states. “The Trinidad and Tobago Prison Service continues to adhere to public health ordinances and make decisions accordingly.”
According to the advisory, while in-person visits have resumed, virtual visits with inmates via ZOOM also will continue.
The full list of Guidelines For Visitors issued by the Prison Service, follows…
● Each facility will be conducting fifty (50) scheduled visits daily:
– Monday to Friday for remanded inmates from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm;
– Tuesdays and Thursdays are allocated for convicted inmates from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
● Visits will be restricted to one (01) per week for remanded inmates and one (01) per month for convicted inmates.
● Requests for visits MUST be made via the Prisons WhatsApp facility at 473- 6713. Visitor(s) must provide his/her name, the inmate’s name and location and he/she will be given a date and time for the visit.
● Only one (1) visitor will be allowed unto the compound to visit an inmate.
● Visitors MUST wear masks and adhere to the COVID-19 guidelines as advised.
● Visitors must be on time to ensure a smooth and effective process.
● Visit areas will be sanitized after each visit.
● No items will be allowed to be brought into the prison for the inmates.
● Deposits to the Prison Commissary will be accommodated but purchases will not be allowed by the visitor.
● Virtual visits will continue via the ZOOM application.