3415361
Energy Minister Stuart Young

Mark Bassant

Lead Editor, Investigative Desk

Minister of Energy and Energy Industries Stuart Young has said he saw no reason why present National Gas Company (NGC) chairman Conrad Enill should step down from his position following an exclusive Sunday Guardian story in which he was named as a defendant in a civil matter filed by businesswoman Jennifer Dan-Sharma seeking to recover $1.8 million.

In court documents filed in August 2020 and exclusively obtained by Guardian Media’s investigative desk, Enill was named as the second defendant in the matter, Anthony Sancho the first defendant and T.A.C Investment Group Limited as the third defendant.

In Sharma’s witness statement submitted to the court in September 2021, she indicated that the sum had been loaned and advanced to the defendants between June 2019 and September 2019, “including purchases and payments on their behalf in the amount of $1,800,525.44 and no sums were repaid to Jenny’s on the Boulevard in this regard.”

Enill has denied all the allegations against him in the court documents and refuted the claims. He also submitted a witness statement to the court via his lawyer Rondelle Keller.

Guardian Media sent questions to Minister Young via WhatsApp asking if in the light of the claims made if he felt Enill should step down as NGC chairman.

“As the matter is before the courts it is inappropriate for me to further comment with respect to it. It is a civil lawsuit and not in any way related to Mr. Enill’s position as the Chairman of NGC. At this time, there does not appear to be any reason for Mr. Enill to step down from his role as the chairman(sic) of NGC.”

Young was also asked whether he felt that this civil claim would throw a negative light on the NGC and Enill’s post.

Young said, “I have spoken to Mr. Enill and I have also been provided with a copy of his defence and his witness statement in the high court action brought by Ms. Sharma to which you have referred. From what I have seen it appears as though the action was filed in 2020 and relates to allegations in 2019. Mr. Enil has denied that he is guilty of any allegations of wrongdoing made against him.”

Similar questions were also sent via WhatsApp to Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley but he did not respond to our WhatsApp or text messages.

Sharma indicated in her witness statement that the money loaned was for a security deposit and six months rent for two posh Chateau de Chantilly Deux apartments in Maraval for both Enill and Sancho in the sum of $343,000 for six months, purchase of an Audi Q5 in the sum of $612,000, services rendered to Sharma in their respective capacities as agents and representatives and or consultants of T.A.C in the sum of $287,125, a further loan of $331,000 to be loaned to Enill and Sancho as agents of the T.A.C, with the promise of it being repaid by T.A.C, a further $175,900 made by Enill for further consultancy services and drawing for the project of assisting Sharma in constructing the Jenny’s Towers and the loan of some $3,037USD ($20,537.41TT) to form and register a company in the British Virgin Islands(BVI) in the name of T.A.C Global Holding Limited.

Enill in his witness statement submitted by his attorney Rondelle Keller to the court has denied ever borrowing any money from Jenny’s on the Boulevard (owned by Sharma), ever promised to purchase any property, or offered project management services, or borrowed any money personally to pay for the rental of two apartments, to form or register a company, to acquire an Audi Q5 vehicle to drive personally or for his own benefit or for any other purpose.

While Sancho did not submit a witness statement for the matter, he did tell Guardian Media last week via phone that the “truth will emerge in the court.”